Tuesday 11 August 2015

RECIPE - Tomato Soup with Homemade Bread




It's quite cold on the farm at the moment so I wanted something warming to eat for dinner tonight. I have always had a thing for tomato soup so when I came across this recipe on my hunt for comfort food I knew I had to give it a go. 

The recipe comes from Martha Stewart and I basically followed exactly what the recipe stipulated but I just added a bit of sugar to take the slightly bitter edge of the tomatoes off and I also doubled the recipe to make sure there was plenty for Hubby and I.

The end result was pretty tasty even if I do say so myself!


Tomato Soup

Ingredients

- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced small (1/4 cup)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, torn
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)


- In a small pot, heat oil over medium-high.

- Add onion and cook until translucent, 5 minutes.

- Add garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil.

- Reduce to a simmer; cook until onions are soft, 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender ( I used a stick blender) with cream; puree until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids: Remove cap from lid and cover opening with a dish towel.) Season to taste.



I knew tomato soup on it's own would not be enough to fill our tummies, so what better accompaniment to soup than homemade bread? Before you ask, "who's got time for that?", it's actually really quick and easy and takes very little time and effort to do. I found the recipe on www.food.com, it worked a treat!


Homemade Bread
Ingredients

- 5 cups white all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yeast (or 2 x 7g pkts)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups warm-hot water
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil


- Put 4 cups of the flour, yeast, sugar and salt into large bowl.

- Pour in hot water and oil and mix until combined- it will be sticky.

- Add the remaining flour in increments until dough is no longer sticky.

- Knead for about 5 minutes until dough is elastic and smooth.

- Place dough back into bowl and cover with a damp teatowel and let it rise until double its size- about 1/2 hour.

- Punch it down and divide dough into two pieces.

- Roll pieces long enough to fill two well oiled loaf pans and leave to rise until dough has reached the rim of the pan.

- Bake at 400F for 40 minutes.

- Rub hot breads with water and wrap in a teatowel to 'sweat' to soften the crust.


ENJOY!!!



If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments: