Saturday 7 February 2015

My favourite newborn/baby purchases.



For me, the first six weeks after giving birth to my little girl was tough not only was I recovering from a c-section I was also totally unprepared for how challenging having a newborn is. I knew it was going to be tough, but I didn't realise how tough!

Here are a few of my favourite life-saving purchases for surviving the first six weeks with my baby.



 
Love to Dream - Love to Swaddle suit.

 If you, like me, have a very wriggly baby you need one of these. No muslin wrap or blanket kept Ella's arms in, within 5 minutes of wrapping she was out. She also liked to sleep with her arms up which is why the Love to Swaddle was totally perfect for us, it stopped her from startling herself awake but also allowed her to keep her arms where she liked them. I purchased mine from The Sleep Store for $39.95.




Maxi-Cosi Mico AP Capsule and base

A good capsule is not only a need its a must. I wanted a capsule with a base so that I didn't have the faff of trying to secure it in the car with a seatbelt each time. The Maxi-Cosi Mico comes with a base unit that can clip into the car using iso-fix. I purchased this at the Baby Show from Babycity.




Silver Cross Surf 2013 Buggy

I think a good pushchair is a must have, regardless of the make or model. We've got the Silver Cross Surf, it's so easy to manouver, collapse and fold. Because I'm so short I didn't want a buggy that would dwarf me and the Surf fits the bill perfectly. I love it and was totally worth the money. What makes it even more worthwhile is we purchased adaptor clips so the capsule can be attached to the buggy without having to get her in and out. I purchased this at the Baby Show from Baby on the move.




Baby Bath Stand

Makes bath time so much easier. I had an unplanned caesarean so having the bath at waist height made bath time so much easier. No having to sit on the floor to bath. I got mine on nzsale but you can find similar ones (like this one from Mothercare) elsewhere.




Moby wrap (or similar)

Whenever Ella was particularly grizzly or was fighting sleep, generally, the Moby wrap always won out! A stretchy wrap is recommended for newborns and is useful when you can't put your baby down without fuss and gives you free hands to do the vacuuming or even just to eat! I purchased mine from The Sleep Store.



Wash cloths

You can never have too many! I have so many of these and I am always finding them in unusual places in my house. These are invaluable for cleaning up the endless inevitable spillage, from both ends, that come with a newborn.





I'm sure there are a number of things I could have posted as invaluable tools for dealing with those trying early weeks of having a newborn but currently my baby brain is chronic and i'm struggling to think of anymore! If there is anything else I've forgotten or you think might be useful to me than let me know!



No comments: